hi Martin,

On Mon, 29 Jan 2024 22:38:27 -0600
"Martin McCormick" <marti...@suddenlink.net> wrote:

> Shlomi Fish <shlo...@shlomifish.org> writes:
> > hi Martin,
> > you can try using an FFI, eg:
> >
> > https://metacpan.org/dist/Inline-C/view/lib/Inline/C.pod
> >
> > https://metacpan.org/dist/Inline-Python/view/Python.pod
> >
> > https://metacpan.org/pod/FFI::Platypus
>
> Many thanks.  I am glad I asked the question but it has taken me
> some time to digest your answer as I wasn't familiar with the
> term FFI so, after exercising duckduckgo, I now know those
> letters stand for Foreign Function Interface which makes perfect
> sense based on what needs to be done.  Unfortunately, FFI's are
> usually used by higher-level languages to take advantage of the
> capabilities found in lower-level languages such as C which is
> closer to assembler and can efficiently access the hardware such
> as an audio or video device.

I meant that you can use Inline::C or perlxs or similar to write
wrappers/bindings for libalsa/etc.

>       I was hoping there might be a perl module like a
> fictional one I will call Device::ALSA which would understand the
> syntax used in capturing audio from a microphone or line input,
> like a microphone input, only not as sensitive, where one
> customarily feeds sound from the output of whatever one is
> recording from.
>
>       There are standard alsa conventions for setting sample
> rate and other parameters which I mentioned in the earlier
> posting so if one knows what sort of digital stream they nead,
> they just stuff those values in to the function whose output is
> that stream of digital  data.  What you do with those data is up
> to you but the module takes care of getting the bits from the
> hardware or sending the bits to your speakers or headphones and
> would also support the alsa plugins which are used by the arecord
> and aplay utilities for added capabilities.
>
>       I can understand why there is no perl module like
> Device::alsa because it would not be portable between Windows and
> Linus.  The l in alsa is for Linux so basically, I was just
> curious to see if anything like Device::ALSA existed and it
> apparently does not exist.

Devs *have* written linux-only or mswindows-only perl5/CPAN modules.

--

Shlomi Fish       https://www.shlomifish.org/
https://www.shlomifish.org/open-source/resources/tech-tips/

XSLT isn't like violence. XSLT is violence - there is no such thing as using
it too little.
    — https://www.shlomifish.org/humour/bits/facts/XSLT/