I just realized I was not chomping <STDIN>.  Thanks.

-----Original Message-----
From: Wert, Nathaniel
Sent: Friday, November 02, 2001 5:19 PM
To: 'Maxim Berlin'
Cc: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: RE: gethostbyname and getnetbyname

Maybe it comes in the statement before that:

$nodename = <STDIN>;
$iaddr = gethostbyname($nodename);
($a,$b,$c,$d) = unpack('C4',$iaddr);
$ipaddress = "$a.$b.$c.$d";
print $ipaddress;

I have debugged this numerous times and I can't seem to understand why gethostbyname
does not return anything.  I have tried with both the hostname and the
hostname.foo.com notation and it does not work.

It does work when I replace $nodename with 'node.foo.com' but I can't get the imputed
variable to work?

Thanks,
Nate.