Dear Friends,

I was just going through Object Oriented Programming in Perl by Damian
Conway in the bookstore yesterday. In the introductory pages, Damian had
noted that empirically it is noticed that subroutines invoked in Objects are
20-50% sluggish than normally written Perl subroutines. Of course, when the
project code assumes monstrous proportions with several thousands of lines,
Object Oriented approach is the way to go.

I am just wondering if Object Oriented Perl programming is being resorted to
many of you in this mailing-list (despite the performance penalty), so that
I can get a feel for how it is used in pragmatic  sense against the pros of
using it as proclaimed in various Perl books.

a) traditional sequential script programming, of course, with a good level
of partitioning logic with various subroutines avoiding global variables to
the least,
b) use judiciously the power of packages/modules (with exporting variables,
subroutines etc)
c) use object oriented approach with a performance penalty of 20-50% as
claimed by Damian?

Thanks,
Rex