On Nov 16, Ray Murphy said:

>When using modules, is it better to say 'use
>Foo::Bar;' rather than 'require'.  Also I've noticed
>that some people put their 'use' or 'require'
>statements in subroutines and not at the beginning of
>the program - what benefits does this serve - conserve
>memory because as soon as you've left the routine the
>module goes bye bye (guessing)??  But surely the
>library would have to compile everytime the subroutine
>would be called and therefore slow the program down
>somewhat (again, guessing).

The FAQ has an answer for this: "What's the difference between require and
use?"  Check http://www.perldoc.com/, and look in perlfaq8.

The skinny is this:

  1. require() happens at run-time, and either takes a bareword module
     name or a path to a file (not necessarily a module)
  2. use() happens at compile-time (so putting it in a function doesn't
     "help") and it involves require()ing a module and then calling its
     import() method

--
Jeff "japhy" Pinyan      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      http://www.pobox.com/~japhy/
RPI Acacia brother #734   http://www.perlmonks.org/   http://www.cpan.org/