Kenneth> Yes, I know this should be very easy. Yes I've seen the
Kenneth> exercise in "Learning Perl". Still I can't get the darned
Kenneth> thing to work. Please help me.

What have you tried?  Does this example help?

    my %lastname;
    while (<DATA>) {
      chomp;
      my ($key, $value) = split;
      print "setting \$lastname{'$key'} to '$value'\n";
      $lastname{$key} = $value;
    }
    foreach $key (sort keys %lastname) {
      print "$key has a last name of $lastname{$key}\n";
    }
    __END__
    Fred Flintstone
    Barney Rubble