Jeff 'japhy' Pinyan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Note: they are used INSIDE a character class:  /[[:digit:]]/.

OK -- thanks.  I'd seen that before, but thought it was a
different syntax [[]].  It's still the character class
syntax [], but with something "weird" in it [:digit:].
Makes sense now.

It all depends on where you've been, I guess.  I came from
Korn shell land where there were three ways to spell "test".
        test args
        [ args ]
        [[ args ]]

Yes, the "[[" and "]]" were two-character operators.  The
doubles were introduced in a later version and have a much
richer (super)set of operators than the single-character
operators.  I "parsed" the Perl [[:digit]] similarly.

Now it makes sense.  I can remove my "special case" rule --
it's cosistent with what I already knew.

Thanks again.

--
Michael R. Wolf
    All mammals learn by playing!