From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: December 17, 2001 1:35 PM
To: Scott Lutz; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: output into a csv file

Scott,

I've found the AnyData module (search CPAN for AnyData) to be great for
CSV.
It can read and write CSV or XML, either tied to hash variables or
through a
DBI interface, as well as reading and writing to HTML tables. I've
noticed
that it uses the following rules for CSV:

  * If field to write contains no internal commas, write to file without
surrounding quotes.
  * If string contains commas, surround field with double-quotes.
  * If string contains both commas and double-quotes, surround with
double-quotes and indicate literal double-quotes as two quotes in a row.

For example, a row consisting of these string values:

  Here's a value
  One with "quotes"
  Another, with a comma
  Another, w/commas, and "quotes"

would be written (on one line) as

  Here's a value,One with "quotes","Another, with a comma","Another,
w/commas, and ""quotes"""

Make sense? Couldn't tell you what the code looks like for parsing.

- John