Hey everybody. I have a simple problem that has been stumping me. I'm
using Perl 5.6.1 on Mac OS X 10.1.1. This is a sub for opening a file in
my program. this is the sub, and the problem is when i run it, if i do
not enter a number 1-3, it keeps asking me forever to enter a number.
Even if I enter a number 1-3 after the first run, it keeps asking me to
enter a number.

Thanks for all the help you guys have been giving to everyone, I have
learned much.

sub start {
        print "What would like to do?";
        newline();
        print "1. Start a new file";
        newline();
        print "2. Append to a file";
        newline();
        print "3. Close a file";
        newline();
        print "Enter a number: ";
        chomp(my $response=<STDIN>);
        if ( $response eq '1' ) {
                print "Enter the new filename: ";
                chomp(my $newfile=<STDIN>);
                while (-e $newfile) {
                        print "I see you already have a file named $newfile\n";
                        print "Please enter a different filename: ";
                        chomp($newfile=<STDIN>);
                        }
                open(MYFILE, ">$newfile") || die "cannot create: $!";
                print_header();

                }
                elsif ( $response eq '2' ) {
                print "Enter the file you wish to applend to: ";
                chomp(my $newfile=<STDIN>);
                unless (-w $newfile) {
                        print "I see you already have a file named $newfile\n";
                        print "The problem is I can not write to it.\n";
                        print "Please enter a different filename: ";
                        chomp($newfile=<STDIN>);
                        }
                        open(MYFILE, ">>$newfile") || die "cannot append: $!";

                } elsif  ( $response eq '3' ) {
                print "Enter the file you wish to close: ";
                chomp(my $newfile=<STDIN>);
                        unless (-w $newfile) {
                        print "I see you already have a file named $newfile\n";
                        print "The problem is I can not write to it.\n";
                        print "Please enter a different filename: ";
                        chomp($newfile=<STDIN>);
                        }
                        open(MYFILE, ">>$newfile") || die "cannot append: $!";
                        print_footer();

                } else {
                        unless ($response eq '1' || '2' || '3') {
                        print "Enter a number: ";
                        chomp($response=<STDIN>);