Resorted to overriding it with this line which causes $response-> code to be
the first one:

sub LWP::UserAgent::redirect_ok { 0 };

The only problem is the complaint while using -w.  Somebody referred to that as
a "nasty hack", others agreed.

But it works.  Instead of 200 OK on the redirected page (second response) they
look something like this:

        302     Object moved    http://www.esdsystems.com/qanda/qanda.asp
        302     Found   http://www.high-voltage-assoc.com

Just noticed can get rather fancy with it:

47      sub LWP::UserAgent::redirect_ok {
48        my $return_value = 1 ;
49           $return_value = 0 if $url =~ /ECE\/newsite/o ;
50        return $return_value ;
51        }

Sorry I know it's a beginner group but just thought the solution might be
useful to someone.  Actually the most enlightening thing for some might be how
I got some of the info:

http://www.google.com/search?as_q=sub+LWP%3A%3AUserAgent%3A%3Aredirect_ok&num=1
00&btnG=Google+Search&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&lr=&as_ft=i&as_filetype=&as_qdr=all
&as_occt=any&as_dt=i&as_sitesearch=&safe=off

Script is working beautifully now.  Perl debugger was essential in
straightening a few things out.

Luckily a few things are beginning to sink into my thick skull.  And to think,
wasn't that long ago I was wondering what $a =~ s/this/that/ was all about.

/g