On Tue, 8 Jan 2002, Jose Vicente wrote:

> I can't install the module because I get some errors, when I read README file i find
>this:
>
> BUILDING:
>

>    set-up these environment variables:
>      DBI_DSN   The dbi data source, e.g. 'dbi:ODBC:YOUR_DSN_HERE'
>      DBI_USER  The username to use to connect to the database
>      DBI_PASS  The username to use to connect to the database
>      ODBCHOME  (Unix only) The dir your driver manager is installed in
>
> But I don't understand what does it means?
> Please if Somebody has installed this module, tell how can I do.
> Where can I find this enviroment variables.
> Thanks in advance.

I can't tell you how to install this module, but I can sort-of explain
how to setup your environment variables.

Since you didn't include any info about your configuration, I'm going to
assume you have a similar setup to mine :)  which is FreeBSD running
bash as my shell (will work the same on linux).  It will be slightly
different if you are using a c-based shell (csh or tcsh).

Environment variables can be set from your shell config files.  For
'bash', these are namely: .bashrc and .bash_profile

To define environment variables, you have to have something like this in
those files:

ENVIRONMENT_VAR=foo;

export ENVIRONMENT_VAR;

so, in your case you would have:

DBI_DSN=whatever_driver_you_are_using;
DBI_USER=username;
DBI_PASS=secret_password;
ODBCHOME=the_dir_your_driver_lives_in;

export DBI_DSN DBI_USER DBI_PASS ODBCHOME;

then you have to re-source your shell config file:

prompt $> . .bash_profile

(or just login again)

Note, you don't have to make these semi-permanent by adding them to your
config files, you can just do it from the command line:

prompt $>DBI_DSN=whatever_driver && export DBI_DSN

Either way works.

Hope that helps a bit

(remember this will only work if you are using *nix and bash)

Christopher