On Jan 9, Yacketta, Ronald said:
>I see that :) but not sure how to pull just the first line from the file
>WITHOUT closing it and skipping to the next...
Oh. Well, what are you trying to do? Change the first line of a set of
files?
>local @ARGV = @sleepystart;
>while (<>) {
> $line = $_; # ??????
> s/\Q$line\E/$db_name/g;
> print;
>}
If you wish to edit the files in-place, you'll also need to use $^I here.
{
local ($^I, @ARGV) = (".bak", @sleepystart);
while (<>) {
$_ = "$db_name\n" if $. == 1;
print;
close ARGV if eof;
}
}
That changes the first line of each file to $db_name's value (plus a
newline!), and then prints the file back to itself (a backup copy is
stored with extension .bak).
--
Jeff "japhy" Pinyan [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.pobox.com/~japhy/
RPI Acacia brother #734 http://www.perlmonks.org/ http://www.cpan.org/
** Look for "Regular Expressions in Perl" published by Manning, in 2002 **
<stu> what does y/// stand for? <tenderpuss> why, yansliterate of course.
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
For additional commands, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]