From: garrett esperum [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 10 January 2002 06:53
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: perl sandbox creation

Hello all,

Here is my environment:
solaris 2.6
perl 5.6.1

Here are descriptions of the files I am working with:
1) a meta-data text file
2) a creation.pl file
3) a CVS repository

The meta-data file contains information about multiple CVS repository files.

There are hundreds of rows with six columns each in the meta-data file. Each

file in the repository basically has it's own row of information. The rows
columns are as follows:
Column 1 = file name
Column 2 = file type
Column 3 = file location
Column 4 = file owner
Column 5 = file permissions
Column 6 = currently unused optional column
These columns are seperated by a single tab.

Example row:
foo.html html /one/two/three/four haxor 0755

I want to execute the creation.pl file to read the meta-data file and create

a "sandbox" from the meta-data information. I need help with the following
tasks:

1) How do I process each column of every row? How do I grab one row, split
it up at every tab, and copy the correct file into it's correct directory
with its correct permissions?

2) How do I create variables for each piece of the split row? Like how do I
create a variable for the directory path column and then go and create that
directory path from that variable if it doesn't already exist?

3)How do I grab the files out of CVS and write them to a temp directory?

4)How do I do all of this in a loop for every row of the meta-data file?

I am very appreciative for your help! Thank You!!

-garrett

This E-mail is confidential.  It should not be read, copied, disclosed or
used by any person other than the intended recipient.  Unauthorised use,
disclosure or copying by whatever medium is strictly prohibited and may be
unlawful.  If you have received this E-mail in error please contact the
sender immediately and delete the E-mail from your system.