> This newsgroup is great.  I am learning alot from just reading the post
> here. I hope someone will be able to help with this query.

Me too.  But I learned a new word yesterday, pedantic.  Just wanted to try it
out, here goes.  :<

Listserves:  Email lists are read in an email program or on the web and are
handled by SMTP.
Newsgroups:  Hosted on news servers, they are read by newsgroup software or on
the web, and are handled by NNTP.

So this is a listserve.  Forgive me, I'm a Virgo.

Listserve, weird word.  Nobody likes it.  "Email list" will also do.

A few programs like Outlook Express make an effort to cover both SMTP and NNTP.

/g