From: "Brian Volk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2002 12:37 PM
Subject: can't write to a file in Linux, can in Unix....?

Hello,

I'm a rookie to perl as well as Linux and I'm stumped.  Hopefully you can
help me out.  I've been reading a book on perl and in the book there are
sample programs that I'm testing out.

Here's the problem... I'm running RedHat 6.2, Perl 5.6 and I'm using the
bash shell.  First off, I can not run a perl program by typing
.../program.pl, instead I have to type; perl program.pl. which is O.K., but I
don't like it... :-) I checked my .bash_profile and I have /usr/bin: in my
$PATH... ???   Here's the bigger problem... When I run write_test.pl
(program below) it will not pull the data from test.txt and write it to
outfile... It is not creating the outfile either... Now I know the program
works because I have logged into my shell account (came w/ hosting account)
and it works just fine.  My first thought was permissions, but the program
doesn't give any error messages...   Any thoughts would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian

 #!/bin/perl

$datafile = "/files/perl/test.txt";
$resultfile = ">/files/perl/outfile.txt";  # Note the '>' charater.
open(DATAFILE, $datafile);
open(OUTPUTFILE, $resultfile);

while (<DATAFILE>) {
        chomp;