On Sat, Jan 19, 2002 at 11:40:14PM +0800, yun wrote:
> I found in perl samples many strange signs, I'm really
> confused by them and the study process is seriousl
> blocked, would you like to recommend some good method
> to pass this basic step? some quick lookup or some
> common-used cmd? Thanks a lot!
---end quoted text---

The best advice I can give is :
1) perldoc perlvar
2) go out and buy the perl pocket reference from oreilly, it's good.

btw $~ is a rarely used variable for Perl formats ( part of Perl's
reporting past, that people rarely use these days) it's more than
likely to be someone refusing to declare a variable when there is one
free to bend to their use.

However that said, they might be using formats; look for lines like:
1) write .....
2) format somename= ....

I like formats, but I'm in a minority ;)

--
 Frank Booth - Consultant
Parasol Solutions Limited.