From: <uid\@host>
To: <email_acct\@acme.com>
Subject: host disk usage

host disk usage
@results
EOF

[snip]

-----Original Message-----
From: McCormick, Rob E [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, January 28, 2002 5:29 PM
To: perl beginners (E-mail)
Subject: mailing captured output with template text

Gang,

Using 'df -k' in bash, I can get this to work acceptably:

# mail the disk usage for a file system to a recipient 'uid'
df -k /data/wrc |mailx -s 'host disk usage' [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I'd like to use perl to surround the output of df -k with a simple text
message.  I used perldoc -q mail to find the code to use sendmail, but I'd
like to extend the sendmail example slightly.  My attempt below:

#!/usr/bin/perl -w
use strict;

my $results = system (`/usr/bin/df -k`);
# backticks seem to be working OK?

open(SENDMAIL, "|/usr/lib/sendmail -oi -t")
        or die "Can't fork for sendmail: $!\n";
print SENDMAIL <<"EOF";