from a command line 2> will redirect standard error.
open(STDERR,">err.out"); works fine, thanks

-----Original Message-----
From: Timothy Johnson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2002 10:50 AM
To: 'Kipp, James '; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: Redirect error to file using system()

Maybe I'm missing something, but it looks like your problem is that you're
redirecting STDOUT to a file, but STDERR is still going to the screen.
There are two things I can think of that might help you out.  One would be
to include a statement like this:

open(STDERR,">err.out");

This should redirect STDERR to the file.  The second method may actually
work better since it avoids shelling out to a separate command. It is to
check out the Win32::Message module at http://www.roth.net/perl.