> So you can see that the string is 4 bytes long. When I write it to the file,
> the file becomes 5 bytes, because the LF is converted to a CR/LF pair. When
> I read it back in, the reverse conversion is made, so the string becomes 4
> bytes again. When I call binmode, that conversion is not made, so the 5
> bytes
> from the file are read in.
>
> Make sense?

Yes, thank you.  I have been getting three different scenerios confused.
Reading from: text files,
              an IRC client (a socket program I worked on awhile back),
              and an HTML form.

You have definitely cleared up the text file situation, thanks, and thanks
for the docs reference.

Running the script you gave helped also, although it brings up another
problem which I will ask about in my next post.

Bompa