On Feb 1, Booher Timothy B 1stLt AFRL/MNAC said:

>Hello, I am trying to change all files in a directory that contain the
>strings Satellite satellite and SATELLITE that I need to change to target,
>Target and TARGET. Because many of these are C++ source files I need to
>preserve the case. I was thinking of the following script:

There's an entry in the Perl FAQ for preserving case, but there's a much
simpler way:

  sub case {
    my ($s, $d) = @_;
    $s = substr($s, 0, length($d)) if length($d) < length($s);
    $d ^ (~$s & (" " x length $s));
  }

Try it out:

  for (qw( satellite Satellite SATELLITE )) {
    print case($_ => "target"), "\n";
  }

The output is

  target
  Target
  TARGET

Its usage in a s/// is:

  s/(word to change)/case($1, "word to become")/eg;

--
Jeff "japhy" Pinyan      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      http://www.pobox.com/~japhy/
RPI Acacia brother #734   http://www.perlmonks.org/   http://www.cpan.org/