On Tue, 2002-02-05 at 12:29, Hughes, Andrew wrote:
> I have created a news article database where non-technical people can cut
> and paste articles to be stored in a mySQL database table.  Everything
> works.  However when I display these in a browser, I want to have <p
> class="whatever"></p> tags around each paragraph, so that the non-technical
> people do not have to worry about adding these tags.  I was thinking the
> logic would go something like this:
>
> When displaying the body field of the database, before anything else print
>
> Then, for each blank line print </p><p class="whatever">
>
> Finally, after the last paragraph print </p>
>
> Should I do this when the articles go into or are pulled out of the
> database?
> How do I go about doing this?
>
> All suggestions are welcome.
>
> Thanks,
> Andrew
>

> --

something like (warning not tested):

<example type="untested">
$in_para = 0;
foreach (split '\n', $text) {
        if (/^\s*$/) { #if blank line or only white space
                if ($in_para) {
                        $in_para = 0;
                        print "</p>\n";
                }
                print "<br />\n";
        } else {
                unless ($in_para) {
                        $in_para = 1;
                        print "<p>\n";
                }
                print "$_\n";
print "</p>\n" if ($in_para);
</example>

--
Today is Boomtime the 37th day of Chaos in the YOLD 3168

Missle Address: 33:48:3.521N  84:23:34.786W