On Wed, 6 Feb 2002 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I understand how the system command works.  I understand the
> difference between system() and backticks.  My question is this:
> I want to make a call to an external program and I want the output
> printed to the command line as it is processing, BUT, I also want
> the output returned to me so that I can parse and check it for certain
> conditions.  Basically I need the functionality of both system() and
> backticks.  How do I accomplish this?  I looked into redirecting
> STDOUT, but didnt see how it was possible.

Depending on what you want to do, this might work.

open(W, "who |") or die "couldn't open pseudo-pipe: $!";

my $output;

while (<W>) {
  $output .= $_;
  print;
}

That will print out the command as it is processing (well, as you are
reading over it, so it's probably not real time, but you probably won't
notice), plus it will store the output of the command in a variable
which you can do stuff to.

Chris