Hi all,

Just wanted to thank everyone for their opinons on the subject.  They were
very interesting.  As I mentioned, at the college I am attending we are using
Java to teach the basics - and I can completely see and understand how having
Perl being loosely typed may be confusing for a beginner like me.  I also
have heard you say Perl is nearly as OO as Java, which is a shame. However, I
do feel I will be able to work around that with time.

But as both Jenda and perl.org mentioned, it is hard to go back to the past
after learning a higher language.  Thus, I think it may be benefitial not
only to my Perl - but also to my Java, to look into C and Pascal.  Maybe not
exactly to become a guru in either, but to get a stronger fondation
altogether to make my Perl (when I come back to it shortly) that much
stronger.

>From what I have gotten from Perl however, is that yes there are differences,
but they are understandable differences that appear to be handy in the long
run.

Anyways, everyone's input was very much appreciated.  I half want to say keep
the argument going - it's interesting, but whatever.

Lisa
Cal Poly SLO
CSC Major
barrelrider.com