As Jenda mentioned your exchange server might not support SMTP. You may
also run into mail relay problems with exchange if you don't
authenticate with a DOMAIN. Also it's very likely that exchange is not
configured to relay outside the company. For simple mail messages I use
Mail::Sendmail

# Exchange relays this fine INSIDE the company which is all I need

use Mail::Sendmail;
$mail{Smtp}   = 'mailserver'; # override sendmail.pm
my $domain    =  'yourdomain.com'
my $user      = 'your name'

$mail{From}   = "$user\@$domain" ;
$mail{To}     = "$user\@$domain" ;
$mail{Subject} = "Test Mail" ;

$mail{Message} = "foo";
$mail{Message} .= "bar \n";

sendmail %mail ;
    if ($Mail::Sendmail::error) {
        print "content of
\$Mail::Sendmail::error:\n$Mail::Sendmail::error\n";
    }
exit 0;