open(INFILE, "rmaccess1.txt") or die "Can't open rmaccess1.txt: $!";
open(OUTFILE, ">outfile.txt") or die "Can't create outfile.txt: $!";
# ALWAYS check for errors when opening file handles. It's a good habit to
get into.

print "Enter name of the Media file to analyse: ";
# I'd keep the above on one line. Looks a little neater

chomp($realname = <STDIN>);

$counter = 0;
# Add this

while(<INFILE>) {

 if(/$realname/) {
  print OUTFILE;
  $counter++;
  # And add this

# And finally do something with the new value of $counter
print "$counter lines were saved to the output file\n";

HTH

John