Do this:

1.  Open up a terminal session
2.  Type "which perl"  or to get the location of the Perl interpreter
3.  On the very first line of your Perl program, insert the location of the
Perl interpreter as determined in 2.
      In my case, this what I got:

momoni:/home/william/bin/PERL_CGI(4)% which perl
/opt/local/bin/perl                             -----  my system's response

So my all my Perl programs begin as follows:

#!/opt/local/bin/perl

4.  You must then make the file executable.  In this case, depending on who
else will be using
the file, the permission setting will vary.  In most cases, this will be
enough:

chmod 750 {the name of your Perl program}

E.g.: chmod 750 foo.pl

5.  If the location of your Perl program is in your PATH variable (echo
$PATH), you can run the
program by simply entering the name of the program.

That is:

foo.pl

If not, and your PATH variable does not include "./" (current directory),
since most workshops
do not allow the inclusion of "./" in the PATH variable (for security
reasons).  Then you have
to enter "./" before the name of your program.

That is:

../foo.pl

Hope this helps.