David Wall wrote:
> Chris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 21 Feb 2002:
>

>>if ( substr(@result[$Pcount],0, 12) == '    Packets:' ) {
>>

> How about
>
>     if ( substr($result[$Pcount],0, 12) eq '    Packets:' ) {
>
> $result[$Pcount] is a scalar, not an array.
>
> or
>
>     if ( $result[$Pcount] =~ /^\s+Packets:/ ) {
>

> But I think it's easier to use Net::Ping.
>

>     use strict;
>     use warnings;
>     use Net::Ping;
>     my $p = Net::Ping->new('icmp'); # see docs for available protocols
>     my $count = 0;
>     for (1..4) { ++$count if $p->ping("dns.host.example") }
>     print "4 pings, $count were successful\n";

Not sure if the Net::Ping will give me what I really need...

What you saw is a VERY small part of the program, and all I
wanted to do was give some realistic status, visually, "realtime".

It is all being logged to a file, and that output MUST be exactly like
standard PING output.  Thus, as I was tasked to keep it within "I can
read this because this is what I am used to seeing" guidelines, I system
commanded it out! :)

But I will keep it in mind, for the future... :)