From: Lanceo
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 2/22/02 1:19 AM
Subject: ping

Hi,

I am having difficulty getting the Net::Ping module to work properly.  I
am
using ActivePerl 5.6.1.631 on a win32 platform.  I can ping a server in
dos prompt ok, but when I try to get the Perl Net::Ping to work it
always
returns a failure.  It seems to ponder over pinging the host for a
couple of
seconds, and then return a zero as a result, which means that it could
not
reach the host, if my interpretation of the docs is correct.

Here is the snippet in question:

 my ($pingThing, $host, $pingResult);
 $host = 'www.google.com';
  $pingThing = Net::Ping->new("tcp", 1);
  $pingResult = $pingThing->ping($host);

  print "$pingResult\n";
 if($pingResult == 1){print "$host is alive.\n";}
 else{print "$host could not be pinged\n";}

 $pingThing->close();

Am I doing something wrong here, or do I need some other module that I
am
unaware of?  I find this sort of bizarre, as I have LWP doing a
successful
page fetch, so the module can obviously access the web.

---