On Mar 4, Timothy Johnson said:

>  I still am not convinced that all of the hoopla about \z is really
>necessary.  I guess the question I need answered before I go back and change
>anything is this:  How is the user supposed to enter an extra \n without
>exiting the prompt?  What I mean is, the only situation in which this could
>make a difference is if you concede that a user can somehow enter a \n
>character into a prompt without returning that value back to your script.
>Otherwise it's your fault if you don't chomp their response.

If I am asked how to convert

  if ($x eq 'y' or $x eq 'z') { ... }

to a regex, I will give the correct answer:

Using $ changes the range of accepted answers.  That is why I use \z
instead of $.  If the question asked was something like "how can I see if
the user entered 'y' or 'z' as input?" I would probably use $ because
there is no way of determining whether the person asking has chomp()ed or
not.

--
Jeff "japhy" Pinyan      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      http://www.pobox.com/~japhy/
RPI Acacia brother #734   http://www.perlmonks.org/   http://www.cpan.org/