From: "Daniel J. Tomso" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> I'm matching a pattern against a long string, and I want to examine
> each occurrence of the match.  I know that $& stores the match, but is
> there a way to store EVERY match in the string, and then look at them?

Dont use $&, it'll slow down ALL regexps even if you use it once!

> Example:
>
> $str = "This is a very long string, isn't it?"
>
> If I want to match against something like /i[st]/ to pick up all the
> 'is' and 'it' strings, then see what I've got (i.e. each instance),
> can I do it?

Either

        @matches = ($str =~ /(i[st])/g);

or

        while ($str =~ /(i[st])/g) {
                my $match = $1;

Jenda

=========== [EMAIL PROTECTED] == http://Jenda.Krynicky.cz ==========
It's just that in the mess on my table ... and in my brain.
I can't find it.
                                        --- me