Peter and Jenda,

        Thank you both for your information and pointers, I appreciated
them.

        I actually ended up doing something slightly different; I wanted
to make method calls use identical syntax, whether they were going to the
APC::Event or the Tie::DBI, so what I ended up doing was giving the
APC::Event a "has-a" relationship with the Tie::DBI, and then delegating
(through AUTOLOAD) calls to the Tie::DBI.  It ended up working great!

Dave Storrs