I do not understand the results of the following experiment, and would
appreciate input.

Using telnet on a Win PC, I executed this code:

        perl -e ‘print "Hello world.\n\r"' > /dev/tty1

On my Linux system monitor (/dev/tty1), I see "Hello world." printed along
with the newline and carriage return.

What I don't understand is why I don't see a return of my Linux screen
prompt until I hit the Enter key on that system.

Should I be flushing some sort of buffer, closing a file, or transmitting
some other code sequence to indicate an end to my output?

TIA

John–