>   1. How do I brake the MAC Address up into bytes?

I'm not exactly sure what format you're getting the MAC address in, but
it looks like you're just splitting it into two-character chunks... To
split that, you could do:

my $c = 0;
while($mac =~ /(.{2})/g){
  $mac[$c++] = $1;
}

>   2. How to convert to binary and put it in a variable?  I think I
>   have seen sprintf to convert, but how to get that into the var...

perldoc perlfunc | grep binmode

>   3. Then how to convert back to hex?

To convert to hex, you can use the aptly named hex() function, and check
out perldoc -f sprintf using the %d option to convert to decimal (or %x
to hexadecimal).

Hope that helped a bit, please provide more specific info if I'm
misunderstanding your questions.

 -dave