From: "Eric Preece" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, March 20, 2002 1:52 PM
Subject: open(FILE, " ") question

Hi,

I am very new to perl. I am writing a script that is supposed to open an
html file and do some various tasks then later on it should print out the
html file. I am having problems with one portion of it. I distilled it down
to this code snippet

# test
use strict;

my $file;
my $HTML;

sub testOpen {
local (*FILE); # filehandle
$file = $_[0] || die ("No file specified\n");
open(FILE, "$file") || die("File could not be opened - $file\n");
while (<FILE>) {
$HTML .= $_;
}
close(FILE);
$HTML =~ s/\$(\w+)/${$1}/g;
return $HTML;
}

print "Content-type: text/html\n\n";
print &testOpen("test.htm"); # Prints the contents of this file

My problem is this works great from the command prompt. But will not open
the file if hit the script from a browser. I am not sure why it behaves
differently in a browser - I suspect permissions but I have the directory
set to write, execute.

I am using a win2k IIS box with the lastest version of ActivePerl.

Thanks in advance,

Eric