Sean,
Although it doesn't quite work the same as ppm, the cpan command will
enable you to install any package you desire.  If you've never installed
it before, you'll need to use 'perl -MCPAN -e shell;' from the command
line, following the directions below.  I recall hearing/reading that
this command is used by earlier versions of perl.  In any event, I
always use it on machines where I've never installed modules as 'xxx'
user before.  After I've done this inital installation, I'm able to add
additional modules by simply using 'cpan' at the command line.

hth,
Brian

==================================
Installing Perl Modules
==================================
Use the built-in CPAN module to install the latest version of PERL
module.

SYNTAX
perl -MCPAN -e shell;

SYNOPSIS

When you first run CPAN in an user account, it will ask you for
configuration parameters. Accept the defaults but use
"ftp://ftp.digital.com/pub/plan/perl/CPAN/"; for CPAN URL.

Then run the following command:

install File::Spec

install Net::FTP
(use "seatimes.seatimes.com" for SMTP, and "192.43.244.18 131.107.1.10"
for TIME and DAYTIME, "seattletimes.com" for local host name)

install Proc::Daemon

install install Bundle::CPAN
(use "ftp://ftp.digital.com/pub/plan/perl/CPAN/"; for CPAN URL)

NOTE

The user running this command should have write permission to install
PERL modules (e.g. /usr/local/lib/perl5)

Here is what I normally do:
1) make user xxx the owner of /usr/local/lib/perl5
e.g. chown -R netscape /usr/local/lib/perl5
2) use CPAN module as user xxx to install PERL modules
3) restore proper ownership of /usr/local/lib/perl5
chown -R bin:bin /usr/local/lib/perl5

==================================
 After Installing Perl Module
==================================

After following the above instructions, then cd to xxx user's
$HOME/.cpan directory.

>From there, cd into the build/[module name] directory and review the
README (highly recommended) and MANIFEST (optional). The README tells
you what the module does and how to install it. The MANIFEST tells you
which files will be installed.

In the readme, you'll be told to run four programs: perl Makefile.PL,
make, make test, and make install. Pay close attention to any errors
that display during the make test step. If you decide you can't live
with the errors returned, then appropriately correct the problems
identified before proceeding to the make install step.