> If I only want to get the numbers sold for lets say apples,
> oranges and
> grapefruit, for both stores How would I go about it?
>
> <File for Store A>
> apples, oranges, pears, lemons, grapefruit
> 5, 0, 4, 6, 2
> 2, 6, 2, 0, 0
> 4, 7, 2, 1, 0
>
> <File for Store B>
> apples, melon, oranges, pears, coconut, lemons, grapefruit
> 4, 3, 2, 7, 1, 4, 0
> 3, 1, 4, 4, 0, 0, 1
> 0, 4, 0, 0, 4, 5, 0

open F,'</path/to/your/file.txt';
chomp(my $fruits = <F>);
my @fruits = split /,\s*/,$fruits;
my $count = 0;
while(<F>) {
  chomp;
  my @currvals = split /,\s*/;
  for(0..scalar @fruits - 1) {
    $dayvals[$count++]->{$fruits[$_]} = $currvals[$_];
close F;

Then for day x, you can access the fruit totals like so:

$dayvals[1]->{melon}

The above code builds an array of hashes, one for each line (day). I
suppose if you're after totals, you could use a hash instead, like so
(re-using the above code where not specified):

my %totals = ();
while(<F>) {
  chomp;
  my @currvals = split /,\s*/;
  for(0..scalar @fruits - 1) {
    $totals{$fruits[$_]} += $currvals[$_];

So now you can access the totals for each file by:

$totals{melon}

HTH,

 -dave