On Wed, 2002-04-10 at 11:10, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> >> At no point do you have an "array" in a scalar context, or a "list"
> >> in a scalar context.  Really.  You don't.  Ever.  Get it?
> >>
> >> And why I'm harping on this is that I've seen this myth continue to
> >> perpetuate, started from some bad verbage or bad understanding
> >> somewhere, and I'm trying to root it out so that it doesn't keep
> >> spreading like a bad meme.
>
> Bob> oooh. i get it. i thought you were overboard, too - until that
> Bob> last go around.  you are right. it is subtle, but important.
>
> Thank you thank you thank you thank you!
>
> It *is* important.  Spread the word. :)
>
> --
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>
> See PerlTraining.Stonehenge.com for onsite and open-enrollment Perl training!

Sorry for not responding earlier, but illness and Real Work(tm)
intervened.  Okay, I get it too.  The list assignment operator returns
the number items copied across, but that still doesn't change how I read
it.  I read

my $var if 0;

as $var is a static variable even though it really isn't.  I like to
assign tags to idioms in my head; in this case static variable and
array() in the case of using an empty list assignment operator to get
the number of matches in a regex.  I don't consider this a bad thing
unless you go overboard in thinking that your tag has real meaning.

--
Today is Sweetmorn the 33rd day of Discord in the YOLD 3168
Hail Eris, Hack Linux!

Missile Address: 33:48:3.521N  84:23:34.786W