                From:   bob ackerman [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
                Sent:   Tuesday, April 16, 2002 4:01 PM
                To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                Subject:        Re: Errors Running Learning Perl in Win32 Scripts

                On Tuesday, April 16, 2002, at 12:13  PM, Anthony Beaman wrote:

                > Thanks!
                > I can't find the file anywhere and I'm on NT. What would the name of
this
                > be (or equivalent) be on NT? Plus, as a "FYI", what does this file
do?
                > Thanks!

                daytime service reports the date on port 13 on unix boxes.
                no, you won't find it on NT.
                i don't think there is a port setup on NT, so, that code won't work.
                i guess i suggest trying to run two separate scripts with one as
server
                and one as client and test sending text back and forth. there is a
thread
                now on this list about bidirectional sockets.

Win32 Scripts

AM, Anthony Beaman wrote:
                >               >
                >               >               > Thanks! I think your advice may
apply to the following code
                >               > that I'm
                >               >               > having trouble with:
                >               >               >
                >               >               > use Win32::NetAdmin;
                >               >               > $username = Win32::LoginName;
                >               >               >
Win32::NetAdmin::UserGetAttributes("", $username, $password,
                >               >               > $passwordage, $privilege, $homedir,
$comment, $flags,
                >               >               > $scriptpath);
                >               >               > print "The homedir for $username is
$homedir\n";
                >               >               >
                >               >               > I tried this but got similar errors
but I played with it and
                >               > tried to add
                >               >               > the other "$"'s to the print
statement but the only thing that
                >               > will print
                >               >               > is the username (I'm logged onto NT
Server 4 as Admin).
                >               >               >
                >               >               > Here's the other code that I'm
having trouble with and it's
                >               > indicative of
                >               >               > the problems that I'm having with
the "IO::Socket::INET->new"
                >               > statement:
                >               >               >
                >               >               > use IO::Socket;
                >               >               > $remote = IO::Socket::INET->new(
                >               >               > Proto => "tcp";
                >               >               > PeerAddr => "localhost";
                >               >               > PeerPort => "daytime(13)",
                >               >               > )
                >               >               > or die "Can't connect to daytime
port at localhost";
                >               >               > while (<$remote>) {print}
                >               >               >
                >               >               > Now, I'm getting syntax errors:
                >               >               >
                >               >               > syntax error at 415b.pl line 3, near
""tcp";"
                >               >               > syntax error at 415b.pl line 7, near
")
                >               >               > "
                >               >               >
                >               >               > Any ideas? Remember, I'm a beginner.
:-) (no flaming!)
Message-----
                >               >               >               From:   David Gray
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
                >               >               >               Sent:   Tuesday, April
16, 2002 11:38 AM
                >               >               >               To:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]; Anthony Beaman
                >               >               >               Subject:        RE:
Errors Running Learning Perl in Win32 Scripts
                >               >               >
                >               >               >               > Hi! I have version
5.005_03 and I'm using the Win32 version
                >               >               >               > of the Learning Perl
book. I'm having trouble running a few
                >               >               >               > scripts. For
example, when I run the following:
used only once: possible typo at 415.pl
                >               >               >               > line 5. Name
"main::length" used only once:
                > possible typo at
                >               >               >               > 415.pl line 5. Name
"main::aliases" used only
                > once: possible
                >               >               >               > typo at 415.pl line
5. Name "main::addrtype"
                > used only once:
                >               >               >               > possible typo at
415.pl line 5.
                >               >               >
                >               >               >               Those aren't errors,
they're warnings which get
                > generated because
                >               >               > you're
                >               >               >               (wisely) asking for
them by either having a -w at
                > the end of the
                >               >               > first
                >               >               >               line of your program
or including the 'use warnings;' pragma
                >               >               > somewhere.
                >               >               >               Your program should
run correctly if those are the only
                >               > messages it
                >               >               >               generates.
                >               >               >
                >               >               >               > What am I doing
wrong? The scripts in the book
                > are supposedly
                >               >               >               > for this version but
I'm having trouble with
                > this and similar
                >               >               >               > scripts.
                >               >               >
                >               >               >               You shouldn't be
declaring those variables as global if
                >               > you're only
                >               >               >               going to be using them
in that one specific
                > block. You don't even
                >               >               > really
                >               >               >               need to get the values
if you're not going to use them.
                >               > Use instead:
                >               >               >
                >               >               >               my @addrs =
(gethostbyname($host))[4];
                >               >               >
                >               >               >               Hope that helps some,
and please ask more
                > specific questions with
                >               >               >               relevant code
attatched if I haven't answered what you
                >               > were wondering
                >               >               >               about.
                >               >               >                -dave
                >               >               > To unsubscribe, e-mail:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                >               >               > For additional commands, e-mail:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]