    Tara> I'm having a problem understanding how to parse what Google
    Tara> spits out.

I was wondering whether it would be worthwhile creating a CPAN module -
something like WWW::Google::SOAP - to allow simple searches with the
SOAP API, returning a nice hash.  Looks like it might be..

    Tara> I don't know whether to start looking for this information in
    Tara> the Google API docs, the SOAP::Lite docs, or if I've asked
    Tara> something so danged stupid the answer's not written down
    Tara> anywhere.

I don't think it's dumb.  It looks like the answers might be in some
reference hanging from $result, but I've no idea.  I don't know where
you'd look, either.

Google has their own newsgroup for all of this; you might have more luck
posting to 'google.public.web-apis' through http://groups.google.com.

Hope this helps,

- Chris.
--
$a="printf.net"; Chris Ball | chris@void.$a | www.$a | finger: chris@$a
As to luck, there's the old miners' proverb: Gold is where you find it.