Basically, I have 30 records in one file and another file with 25 records...
these files are opened for reading, a record from the first file is paired
with a  record from the second file and output a 3rd file.  Obviously, the
first 25 records are fine, but the last five records are being paired with a
null value.  The block of code below is my feeble attempt at detecting the
null value when the record is read and returning a dummy value so that there
are no nulls in the output file.

I'm quite sure there is a more elegant way to do this.  Suggestions, please?

sub getdept {
$getdept=<INFILE3>;
chop($getdept);
if (!($getdept)) {