On Friday, May 3, 2002, at 06:22 , Maureen E Fischer wrote:

> I am about to write my first CGI/Perl application.  I have read Learning
> Perl and I now am reading the Castro Perl and CGI book and the O'Reilly
> CGI book.  I was going to write and test my work using IIS on Windows
> because it seemed easy for me to get started that way, but I have access
> to a Sun machine that runs UNIX.  Since the system will ultimately run
> on Hostway.com (our ISP provider) using an Apache web server on Linux,
> would it be better to just forget about the IIS and develop it right
> away using UNIX or will the differences be minor (between the windows
> application and the ultimate Unix application) and easy to correct.  Any
> advice will be appreciated. Maureen

as you may have noticed a lot of people get bollock'd by the
dos2unix and unix2dos 'end of line' problem.

but as we also noticed if you start with

        #!/usr/bin/perl -w
        use strict;

you can actually skate around that....

Given that you have access to a unix box - in the dark the big
delta's between solaris and linux are not that interesting in
the actual perl coding space - so I would argue - avoid the
IIS/windows problems - and go over to the *nix box and just
get on with perlMongering.

What you will also find is that you can run your

        myNewCgi.cgi

from the command line and debug it...... once it stops
complaining at you - then hang it up in a 'safe place'
and call it out from your webPages....

ciao
drieux

---