on Mon, 06 May 2002 08:32:11 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Martin A. Hansen)
wrote:

> im able to generate records of this kind:

my $records =

> {
>           'bleh' => {
>                       'ISHpix' => [],
>                       'gelpix' => [],
>                       'base' => [
>                                   ''
>                                               ],
> [...more keys deleted for brevity...]
>                       'mt' => [
>                                 'bleh'
>                               ],
>                       'band' => [
>                                   ''
>                                 ]
>                     }
> }
>
> how do i print a specific record?
>
> i would like to be able to check if a record already exist so i
> dont overwrite it.

If I understand your datamodel correctly, your first 'bleh' is a
primary key, and the second-level hash keys are column descriptors.

You can use

    print "key 'bleh' already exists\n"
        if exists $records->{'bleh'};
to check whether a record with a specific primary key already exists.

To print out records, you could use the following subroutine:

    print_record($records, 'bleh');

    sub print_record {
        my $source = shift;
        my $key = shift;

        return unless exists $source->{$key};
        print "Contents of record with primary key $key:\n";
        foreach my $field (sort keys %{$source->{$key}}) {
            print "\t$field: ";
            print "[" .
                  join(", ", @{$source->{$key}{$field}}) .
                  "]\n" ;
        }
           print "\n";
        return;
    }

But I have a question: what is the functional difference between
"[]" and "['']" in your columns?

--
felix