> > From:       Kevin O[SMTP:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
>
> Hello all,
>
> I need to insert a lot of data into a mysql table.  Know that I can
> do it
> like this example:
>
>  my $sth = $dbh->prepare(q{
>     INSERT INTO sales (product_code, qty, price) VALUES (?, ?, ?)
>   }) or die $dbh->errstr;
>   while (<>) {
>       chomp;
>       my ($product_code, $qty, $price) = split /,/;
>       $sth->execute($product_code, $qty, $price) or die $dbh->errstr;
>   }
>   $dbh->commit or die $dbh->errstr;

Have a look here for some examples.

http://www.dbmaker.com/reference/technotes/perl.html

It would be nice to see the data that you are doing this with. The Perl
DBI allows you to iterate ove a range off values and what you
effectively do is execute a singel SQL statement for each set of values
so not yiou do not need to have 500 ? . The perl DBI has various
methods to this see the examples in the link above.

Harry