> ...and then Grace Lontok said...
> %
> %  Thank you for your rudeness.  I already sent 5 e-mails to the
> % unsubsribe link at the bottom of the messages.  However, I
> % continued to receive mass e-mails for quite some time and so that
> % is why I e-mailed the entire list serve.  I apologize for the
> % unconvenience.
>
> You're quite welcome, though I'm not sure what you find to be rude.
> If I have failed to be gracious in my offer to fulfill your request I
> would welcome suggestions that might benefit others in the future.
>
> Since you're aware of the unsubscribe link, you must also be aware of
> the help link, which is what one might logically try next.  Once you've
> gotten -- and read, I presume -- the useful help response, you would
> undoubtedly notice the owner address specifically for contacting the
> owner of the list.
>
> I can only conclude that, since you in your desperation had to fall
> through to the list itself, that the owner is missing in action.
> We should start a search party immediately, for I'm sure his or her
> mailbox is rapidly filling; we might, in fact, have to brace for a deluge
> of requests from users left with no choice but to take their subscription
> requests to the list in general.
>
> Would you mind acting as our focal point, since you probably have the
> greatest interest in contacting the owner?  We'll be sure to forward all
> sighting information to you and that should help you do the necessary
> detective work.

I have a simple way of dealing with pesky mailing-lists that all the
unsubscribe links are broken, the administrator has gone AWOL (or is
busy hacking on some important piece of software).  It is incredibly simple:

  BLOCK the offending mailing-list

which doesn't decrease the strain on your mailserver, but does stop
the regular bulking-out of your inbox.  Another simple solution is:

  Change your email address ;-)

Which is a rather drastic approach, but all the bounced messages will
eventually hint the mailinglist sofware that it's not welcome anymore.
So you'll be able to reopen the account!

Jonathan Paton

=====