I manage my mailing lists (yes, the are opt-in) in mysql and operate on
it with perl.  However, the missing piece right now is the mailing
execution element.  I'd like to create a perl script that will mail each
one of my receipients a personalized message.

I can create and send the message, but the part I'm wondering about is
the processing.  If i just do a query for all e-mails and then execute
the mailing in a "while" loop, does that tie up the table and/or put a
heavy strain on the mysql server or the web server itself?  it's a
pretty fast server with plenty of RAM.

Would it be better to loop through the table and write all the
recipients to a temp file, then loop thru the file and execute the
mailing?

The reason I'm so concerned about it is that some of my lists are quite
large, like, over 100,000.  I don't want to kill mysql, the web server,
or the mailserver by overburdening it.  If anyone's done anything like
this, any help is appreciated!

Thanks,

Rory