                From:   David T-G
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
                Sent:   Friday, May 31, 2002 11:22 AM
                To:     perl beginners
                Cc:     Ned Cunningham
                Subject:        Re: Printing all elements of an Array except
the first?

                Ned --

                ...and then Ned Cunningham said...
                %
                % Great,
                % Now how about sorting on the "new" first element of the
array each time I
                % step through a file???

                How about a little more detail?  I'm not sure quite what you
mean by
                new; you top-posted instead of providing any contextual
reference.

                Given input of

                  a b c d
                  e f g h
                  i a a a

                do you want to sort on the b/f/a elements, or something
else?

                If you do, then

                  - do you ever need the first elements, or can you just
throw them away
                    at read time and then sort naturally?

                  - is there any reason not to whip up a little sort that's
based on that
                    element?

                In the last case, I envision something about like

                  sort { $a[1] <=> $b[1] }

                or so...

                :-D
                --
                David T-G                      * It's easier to fight for
one's principles