drieux, et al --

...and then drieux said...
%
% On Wednesday, June 5, 2002, at 09:49 , Alan John Drew wrote:
% [..]
% >If you can avoid it, never compile/install as root. I
% >generally compile the modules as an unprivalidged user, and copy them to
% >~/lib/perl5/ and add the following to by script:
% >
% >use lib "./lib/perl5/";
% >
% >before any other use commands.
%
% Is it just me or is there a reason that you haven't simply
% done the canonical
%
%        perl Makefile.PL PREFIX=~/lib/perl5
%
% to begin with????

Maybe he doesn't trust makefiles :-)  Maybe he has to support multiple
architectures and is #!#$%@ frustrated because makemaker doesn't know
from SITEARCHLIB (oops, did anyone notice my little rant?).  Of course,
if you were talking about the "use lib" bit, we can probably figure that
he's using the system perl with his private lib dir, right?

%
% We generically agree on 'do not compile as root' - and that
% you should think about having the
%
%       /usr/local/lib/perl5 || /usr/lib/perl5
%
% owned by your 'group' so that you can install based upon

Not bad, but then it leaves things writable, which also isn't good.
Better to check the makefile and then install as root than to leave
it writable by a user.

% your group permission - or the older *nix hack of just
% allowing it to be world writable - no longer advocated -

Ah, those were the days...

% or have a PerlGeeks group so that all of the PerlGeeks
% can whack in what they find amusing????

That's a good thought; I tend to like VENDORLIB for that one since we
cheap geeks don't buy anything :-)

%
% ciao
% drieux