On Friday, June 7, 2002, at 11:03 , Danial Magid wrote:
[..]

> I am trying to put together a process that will format and print out
> checks (pay stbus), so I need to do a bit of formatting and combine the
> right fonts.
>
> I was wondering if there are any books or urls I could use for reference.

as david mentioned - this tends to be stuff at the
printer layer - in terms of font selection -
but you can get basic types of 'formatting'
sorted out with things like

        perldoc perlform

At which point you will probably either be working the process of
say

        open(derPrinter, "$printer $printArgs|")
                        or die "not able to popen printer:$!\n";

        # do the select foo for derPrinter for the
        # stuff you want to ship there.....

        close(derPrinter);

you may want to look at the available 'graphics' libraries:

        http://search.cpan.org/Catalog/Graphics/

the GD family is hot - although the kult of Image::Magick
has it's defenders... since if you can get to a basic 'image'
then you can normally push that out to most post modern printers.

Assuming that your target printer is a network printer that
allows TFTP then you might want to scope out:

http://search.cpan.org/doc/GSM/TFTP-1.0b3/README

or

http://search.cpan.org/search?module=Net::TFTP

{ now it may be a reach to send you to say
http://search.cpan.org/search?dist=LEGO-RCX -
to have the lego robot go over and change settings... }

so there are a whole bunches of routes to a solution
that you could try - we'd need to know a few things more
about which OS to what printer by which interfaces....

ciao
drieux

---