From: learn perl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Hi folks, need some help in accessing a ODBC database (SQL server)
> using DBI via the nextwork.
>
> usually, if the database is on local machine, I just use the
> datasource $dbh=DBI->connect("DBI:ODBC:databasename",$username,
> $password, %attr);
>
> but how do I complete this connection if the database is on a remote
> location???
>
> do I have to create the ODBC connection locally first to that remote
> database? or wut?

This depends on the ODBC driver, what database are you using?

Anyway the ODBC drivers should be able to connect to remote databases
just fine (though it's not really recomended for file-based databases
like Access, xBase, FoxBase, dBase or Paradox ).

Just set up a DSN on the "local" machine (the one where the script
runs) and point it to the remote datbase.

Jenda
=========== [EMAIL PROTECTED] == http://Jenda.Krynicky.cz ==========
It's just that in the mess on my table ... and in my brain
I can't find it.
                                        --- me