At 09:01 AM 6/20/02 +0200, Damir Horvat wrote:
>Hi!
>
>I've been trying to keep this thingie going with this sub, but it dies on
>me every now and then ...
>
>or, does someone have a full-featured daemon code|sub?

% perldoc -q daemon
Found in /opt/perl/lib/5.6.1/pod/perlfaq8.pod
      How do I fork a daemon process?

              If by daemon process you mean one that's detached
              (disassociated from its tty), then the following
              process is reported to work on most Unixish systems.
              Non-Unix users should check their Your_OS::Process
              module for other solutions.

              o    Open /dev/tty and use the TIOCNOTTY ioctl on
                  it.  See tty(4) for details.  Or better yet, you
                  can just use the POSIX::setsid() function, so
                  you don't have to worry about process groups.

              o    Change directory to /

              o    Reopen STDIN, STDOUT, and STDERR so they're not
                  connected to the old tty.

              o    Background yourself like this:

                      fork && exit;

              The Proc::Daemon module, available from CPAN,
              provides a function to perform these actions for
              you.

--
Peter Scott
Pacific Systems Design Technologies