> Use a hash when you want to access data by a key.
>
>> (like "if you have over 500,000 items, use a 2-d
>> array instead of a hash")
>
> Perl doesn't have 2-d arrays.

Sure it does, it just takes a little more work to implement them.  =)

> If you have 500,000 of something, that gets in to
> the realm of "a lot". A database may be the best
> answer. Or not. It depends...

So about how many keys do you have to have before you start questioning
whether you should be using a hash?  Is 15,000 keys too many?

I've got lots of data files with 15000+ x,y,z values.  The x,y values are
the same, but the z's are different between the files.  I want to output
only data points where ALL the z's in all files for a given x,y are greater
than 0.  Should I load the x,y values as hash keys, and the max z values as
the "value"?  I'm a little vague on how to proceed...

TIA.

- B